From:
Luc Beaudoin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 09:01:05 -0500
Web site : http://www.crim.ca/~vroomen/workshop/workshop.htm

WORKSHOP INVITATION :
GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACES FOR HIERARCHIES

On December 4-5, 1997, Thursday-Friday
At the Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory, University Of Maryland at
College Park
An event organized jointly by the HCI group of UMC and the HCI group of
CRIM.

Hierarchical classification is a basic cognitive model used in almost
all fields and in all cultures. Hierarchies are used for information
organization about libraries, computer directories, stock portfolios,
demographics, and many more resources.  Textual representations with
nesting and indenting to show levels are popular, but novel graphical
approaches with node-link diagrams, cone trees, hyperbolic trees, and
treemaps are expanding the choices for designers and users.

Some of the key issues for designers are:

     - Structure: dealing with high fan-out or depth
     - 2D -versus- 3D
     - Static (panning and zooming) vs dynamic representations (pruning)
     - Navigation : Where did I come from and where can I go?
     - Tasks : viewing, navigating, exploring, probing/searching,
          locating, filtering, editing, etc
     - Media limits : physical resolution and chromatic resolution.
     - Test datasets and tasks

The University of Maryland Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory (HCIL)
and the Centre de Recherche Informatique de Montreal (CRIM) are
organizing this workshop with with a maximum of 20 researchers and
advanced developers to present their work and discuss future directions.

SUBMISSIONS

We invite potential participants to send an application during
October 1997 describing their work and offering a title and abstract
of the talk they would like to present.

Submissions should be sent (in order of preference)
1-  using the submission form available on the workshop web site.
     (http://www.crim.ca/~vroomen/workshop/workshop.htm)
2-  or by email to Luc Beaudoin ([log in to unmask])

Decisions about participation will be made by November 5.

ARRANGEMENTS

There is no charge to participants. Refreshments (coffee and fresh
pastries in the morning, and fresh fruit with frozen yogurt in the
afternoon), lunches (Chinese and Italian food), and copying of handouts
will be paid for by HCIL.

Location: The workshop will be held in ROOM 2120 (UMIACS conference
room) in the A. V. Williams Building where the HCIL facilities are
located on the College Park campus.(see directions to HCIL) .

Hotels, travel: Participants will be responsible for their travel and
housing. The campus is just northeast of Washington, DC (taxi or Metro
ride from National or Dulles Airports) and 25 miles south of Baltimore-
Washington Airport. We are close to Amtrak's Washington, DC and New
Carrollton

A block of rooms has been reserved at the University of Maryland
University College Inn and Conference Center, located on campus.

Equipment for talks: The room we will use has a large square-donut
shape table. There is an overhead projector and a TV for showing videos.
We will bring a panel that can project PC screens (up to 800x600
resolution). We will have a good quality IBM PC portable in the room as
well. If you need 35mm slides or access to a machine for demos in the
lab, let us know in advance and we will try to arrange it. Our lab has
PCs, Macs and Sun Workstations, other types of machines can probably be
found in the building.

WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS:
UM-HCIL
     Ben Shneiderman, [log in to unmask]
     Catherine Plaisant, [log in to unmask]
     Anne Rose, [log in to unmask]
CRIM
     Luc Beaudoin ([log in to unmask])
     Louis Vroomen ([log in to unmask])
     Marc-Antoine Parent ([log in to unmask])