From:
Nasser Abbasi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:51:20 -0700
Dave Wood wrote:

> Lucky that on NT you can use the Win32Ada bindings which
> are free and are included with ObjectAda and cover ODBC
> (also compatible with GNAT if that's your bent), or one of
> a number of vendor-specific options. For Unix, I'm not sure
> of a free set, although we do offer a set that come with
> our product.

Yes, on NT there is an oracle ODBC I can download for free, and I knew
there are also Ada ODBC bindings I can get. (search the web for them)
But I am not interested in developing on Windows platforms. but I want
my application to also run with very little changes if any on windows
also.

> > The bottom line, is that with java I have all the pieces I needed to
> > write my application from the platform I wanted.
>
> Seems like this ought to be the same story for Ada, given
> that ObjectAda/AppletMagic has full bindings to the JDK.
> Have you tried to use them?

ObjectAda/AppletMagic compiler is not free. the bindings are there, but
you still need to buy the compiler itself, no? .

I can;t ask the company I work for to buy commerical things for me, if I
do, they'll ask me why don't I use Java, its free. then I have to
explain language issues to managers who are not programmers, and I dont
know how to do that. but If I can first write it in  Ada and then they
see how solid the program is, I can then tell them it was written in Ada
;) so far, I am able to use Ada for applications that do not need
outside interfaces and does not need to talk to outside systems. and for
that it is working very well for me.

I tried the Aonix Ada compiler, I download it for Solaris (70 MB of it),
and then there was no instructions on how to use the compiler, not a
single README file. and for UNIX I read on the Aonix webpage that one
needs to ask for some key/id from Aonix to use the compiler, while on
windows there are no such requirments. it seems Ada compiler vendors has
something against UNIX I have no idea what. why require use to request a
key/id to use the UNIX compiler while not on windows? so I did not use
it. (did not know how to). I simply used Java for database access
application, and took the easy way out, even though I am not very happy
with the language itself.

thanks,
Nasser