From:
"S. Ron Oliver" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 15:32:14 -0700
At 03:05 PM 11/25/00 -0600, F. Britt Snodgrass wrote:

. . .

>However there is a "Resources" sidebar that lists
>http://www.adahome.com/ as the primary reference URL for Ada along with
>several Ada vendor URLs.  It does not include URLs for either AdaPower
>or AdaIC sites. As most of you know, AdaHome hasn't been updated in
>almost two years (last update was Jan 3, 1999) and many of the links are
>now broken.  While AdaHome still has some good materials, AdaIC and
>AdaPower are much better sites to tell new Ada users about. Does anyone
>know what happened to Magnus Kempe and why he has let AdaHome become so
>stale?  If he isn't interested in maintaining the site could he be
>convinced to have the AdaHome main page automatically redirect visitors
>to either AdaIC, AdaPower, or the ACM SIGAda site?

Yes, this is a real problem.  We did discuss this at a SIGAda E.C. meeting
quite some time ago, but Magnus seems to have "disappeared" - he must be
too busy making his fortune.  :)

At the very least, he does have links to Team Ada and ACM SIGAda, among
others, that still work.  But it would really be nice if ALL his links
worked, at a minimum.  I suspect there are other important updates that
need to be made, but haven't taken the time to carefully peruse his material

However, more to the point: it is somewhat embarrassing to know that, if an
author is going to give ONLY ONE reference, the one he gives is not either
SIGAda or the ARA.  This is somewhat of an educational problem.

Does anyone know the author?  Does anyone know an editor for Linux journal?

Perhaps if we wrote a brief note to the Linux journal, asking that more
URLs be listed for those interested in learning more about Ada (without
saying anything pro or con about AdaHome), we could at least get one more
small plug in the Linux community?

sro

S. Ron Oliver, semi-retired professor of Computer Science and Computer
Engineering.  www.csc.calpoly.edu/~sroliver

Tired of sucky software! ?  Check out www.caressCorp.com and follow the
links to software sucks and The Oliver Academy.