Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:39:24 -0500
From:
Philip Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
> I believe that it would be very useful for my work, which is medical
> research, and others if you would share how you have Netscape Forms
> communicate with an Ada program. Is your work under Windows or some flavor
> of UNIX? Evidently one can refer to a self-host or something like that in
> UNIX. I can not do this in either Windows 98 or DOS, my preferred
> environment.

The platform we are building the application on is Miltope SPORT
with Windows 95.  we also run our Stimulation lab [simulation-
based test flow verification] on laptops running Windows 98.

Our system is captive so we are not concerned with Web-type
security so we essentially turn all security off.  This allows us to
read and write to local files for transaction logging etc.

We build our various forms within html pages and control the
dataflow between the user, the forms and the Liveconnect interface
with Javascript. The interface to the native code applications is
through a Liveconnect plugin.  Some of the native applications are
standalone and we simply provide the user interface to invoke
them.  The main diagnostic test application is built as a dynamic
linked library (dll) which is linked into the Liveconnect plugin.  This
is standard (sort of) Netscape plugin techniques.

The native applications are language independent due to the our
approach.  They can be written in any language as long as a dll
can be generated.

> I hope that XML is flexible enough that a Client-only environment can be
> specified. Windows Explore now has vector graphics, which I hope are based
> on the XML standard.

We currently use HTML and some DHTML.  We are looking at XML
for future implementations but have not made a definite decision.

Phil Johnson