From:
"W. Wesley Groleau x4923" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:44:59 -0500
> .... I have a vague recollection of hearing about an
> Eiffel-to-Java compiler.  If anyone is familiar with other such compilers
> outputting JBC

Products do exist to get J-code directly from Ada, COBOL, Eiffel, Prolog,
and many others.

For detailed list, and some links, see

   http://grunge.cs.tu-berlin.de/~tolk/vmlanguages.html

It also lists several things not clearly covered by the prohibition:

1. Tools that generate Java source from other languages

2. Interpreters that run on a JVM to execute Forth, BASIC,
   Smalltalk, etc.

3. J-Code assemblers.

4. Preprocessors that allow features of other (non-Java) languages to be
   used in Java programs--including features of C & C++ that the Java
   creators intentionally left out for security reasons!

5. Compilers that produce J-code from the sorts of languages
   mentioned in (4)

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau