Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 08:46:49 -0500
From:
"W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)" <[log in to unmask]>
Philip Johnson wrote:

> W. Wesley Groleau (Wes) wrote:
>
>      I suggest (and intend to tell the VIPs directly) that any
>      student in
>      a service academy should be at least as familiar with Ada as
>      with
>      any other language.  If necessary, use a little of the
>      proposed
>      $1.5 million "investment in infrastructure" to ensure this.
>
> Wes,
>
> I am enclosing a portion of a press release from Aonix about a 40,000
> copy sale of Aonix Ada development products to the military.  This may
> help get rid of the Ada blinders.
I complained about the danger of having future decision-makers
for mission-critical systems be unfamiliar with Ada.  Well, in
comp.lang.ada, Robert Dewar recently posted something pertinent:

> A few years ago, I reviewed a proposal from some Canadian
> Professor which dismissed Algol-68 on the silly grounds that
> Matthew mentions above (too many type coercions), and gave
> as an example the following

    [ falsehood omitted ]

> There is only one problem with this. Algol-68 has NEVER allowed
  [ what the example complained about ]

> An irony is that I know exactly where he got this from, there
> is a well-known paper by a very well known author, who is
> considered an expert in programming languages, which presents
> EXACTLY this wrong example.
>
> Needless to say, I gave the proposal a very low rating, anyone
> who simply adopts other people's opinion uncritically as their
> own is unlikely to make a good scientific investigator!

    Wes Groleau, Hughes Defense Communications, Fort Wayne, IN USA
Senior Software Engineer - AFATDS                  Tool-smith Wanna-be

  w w g r o l  at  p s e u l t 0 1  dot  f w  dot  h a c  dot  c o m

     SPAM should be sent to   [log in to unmask]
 If you don't want to pay $500 (see 47 USC 227), don't send it here.