Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:42:39 -0500
From: Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Alan et al,

> I would like to thank all those who responded to my original
> posting asking  for information and suggestions regarding the
> use of Ada vs Java as an initial teaching language -- most useful.

Glad it helped!

> It looks as if we will continue using Ada for all our initial
> programming courses for at least another year although I expect the
> issue to resurface before too long!

Nixon's Secretary of State, George Shultz, was fond of saying about
Washington, "Nothing here is ever _over_!" I think the same can be
said about language wars.

> However the introduction of a
> second year course in Java (plus the existing one in C++) may help
> stem the tide.

I think this has worked at GW; we will see over the next few years
as our Java sequence kicks in. We are going to be covering C++ at
the end of the curriculum, after 2 semester courses in Ada, 2 in Java,
and 2 that use "plain C" (compilers and OS), where C will be viewed
as a kind of Java--. C++ can then be seen as (Java--)++. :-)

> Thanks
> Alan

Good luck!

Mike