From:
Edward Colbert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Colbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 08:35:47 -0800
>       Another thought might be to have SigAda stop spending money on a =
conference
>       devoted solely to Ada. It's like preaching to the choir. Maybe, =
in light of
>       this policy, it would be better to increase Ada's visibility in =
the
>       commercial market by sponsoring more booths and perhaps even =
sponsoring
>       authors at other conferences.

We've had booths at other conferences over 3 years now.   (I can't =
remember when Mike Feldman started exhibiting at SIGCSE/ACM Computing =
Week.)  This year=20
we've been to 9 conferences, including Object World East & West, ACM =
Computing=20
Week, SEI Software Engineering Symposium & SEPG, FCRC, Object Expo, Fed=20
OOTs, OOPSLA.  Huntsville SIGAda also had a booth at a local IEEE =
conference=20
for 2 years in a row.  And, we've either had a table-top exhibit at or =
sent CD-ROMS=20
to attendees of the Small College Computer Conferences.

Just about every year, I've asked for suggestions of other conferences =
that we can
exhibit at.  I got 2 this year and we exhibited at both.   In January, =
we'll exhibit at=20
conference, Lab Automation '97, that has a very different focus from =
those that=20
we've attended in the past (i.e., medical lab equipment).  Let me know =
if you have
suggestions?

Between SIGAda's budget (sustained by TRI-Ada) and ACM support, we've =
had=20
sufficient funds for a few more conferences.  Our biggest constraint is =
labor.  I have=20
had a hard time getting volunteers to staff the booth. =20

If you're on this mail list, you probably meet the 2 requirements =
necessary to staff=20
the booth: (1) the ability to talk about Ada's technical strength's; (2) =
the desire to see=20
Ada used.  For next year our preliminary exhibit schedule is:

        Jan 18-22               San Diego               Lab Tech '97
        Feb 28- Mar 1   ?                               ACM Computing Week/SAC '97
        Mar 3-7                 Boston                  Object World East '97
        Jun 2-5                 New York                Object Expo, NY '97
        Jul 22-25               San Francisco   Object World West '97

You don't have to be at the conference every day to help.  Volunteering =
always gets
you into the exhibits and some special events.  Some shows also allow =
exhibitors
to sit in on a few sessions.

Let me know if you know other shows that would be good to exhibit at, =
and tell me when you can volunteer.

Take Care,
Ed Colbert
SIGAda Ada Awareness Manager/Booth Coordinator