From:
"Ralph E. Crafts" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph E. Crafts
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 09:47:22 -0500
Ken Garlington wrote:

        [snip]

> By the way, I was stunned to see that the November 4 issue of Aviation Week
> and Space Technology already has an article on the Ada study. The punchline of
> the article: "The report said that the Defense Dept. should either provide
> that support [$15M/yr] or drop the Ada requirement entirely."  Given the
> current budget situation, I'd say that decision has already been made...
>
> --
> LMTAS - "Our Brand Means Quality"
> For more info, see http://www.lmtas.com or http://www.lmco.com

Teamers, this really, really pisses me off.  The front page of the
report has a sticker that prohibits public release of the report
prior to 1NOV96.  There is no way that restriction was complied with
if it made it into the 4NOV96 issue of Aviation Week.  I don't think
I'm being paranoid in feeling that there is a very well coordinated
effort to make this whole endeavor as damaging as possible to the use
of Ada in the DoD.

A brief summary:

We have a "study" which has been touted as being even handed, and
conducted by a broad cross section of experts.

The study has been presented in a very negative manner as it pertains to
Ada, with even the positive aspects regarding Ada offered in a "damning
with faint praise" (Mike Feldman's excellent choice of words) format.

The public release has ensured that any opposing views will not be
presented in time to be included in the majority of press articles.

The study has been commissioned by a long-term, vocal Ada supporter,
and carries his tacit, if not yet explicit endorsement--otherwise, it
would not be publicly available.

In my 15 1/2+ years in the Ada industry, this is about the worst
publicity I have ever seen for the language.

Pretty damn awful.

--Ralph Crafts

     Ralph E. Crafts, Vice President            Voice:  703-359-9709
     Sales & Marketing                          FAX:    703-359-8161
     OC Systems, Inc.                           E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
     9990 Lee Highway                                   [log in to unmask]
     Suite 270                                    http://www.ocsystems.com
     Fairfax, VA  22030