From:
Nasser Abbasi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nasser Abbasi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:38:06 -0700
John Dalbey wrote:

> The current (April 98) issue of BYTE magazine has a
> cover story "crashproof computing" about how
> unreliable PC's are compared to mainframes and
> embedded systems.
> Certainly no news to most of us.

ref. embedded systems. Java

If you heared the speaches in Java one conference in San Fransisco these
last few days, you would have heared about how Java is moving in with
big force into the embedded market also, things like controllers, smart
cards, small devices, etc.., about how many big companies,
telecommunication companies, have allready licensed java to use in these
areas. They said that the market for Java will be over 1 billion dollars
by the end of the year.

This is the strong area for Ada (embedded systems, controllers, small
devices) isn't? so, if Java takes over this from Ada, where else will
Ada be used? I have no idea how a language like Java with garbage
collection that can kick in at any time, can be used reliabely (sp?) for
real-time systems, but I guess some think it is OK.

Nasser