From:
Dirk Craeynest <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dirk Craeynest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 17:44:34 +0200
Mike Feldman wrote:

= I'm wondering (only half-jokingly) whether some recruiter confused
= Ada with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). The latter would
= be a big deal for something like NYCTA - making stations
= disabled-accessible, etc.
=
= Hal - are you _sure_ it was really _Ada_ they were looking for?

Not at all jokingly, I contacted Hal Hart immediately after reading his
message this morning.  As I got an automated response that Hal is only
back in the office on May 5th though, I post part of my mail here.

---extract-of-mail-to-Hal-Hart---

Hal,

It would be nice to have more information on the project where NYC TA
wants to employ this "senior software engineer with Ada experience".

I searched the Web, including the "official NYC TA" server, but couldn't
find anything, neither on the job nor on a project for which this person
could be needed.  Do you have more information?

And are you sure it is "Ada-the-language experience" and not "ADA
experience" (Americans with Disabilities Act), or "SCADA experience"
(Supervisor Control & Data Acquisition Systems) because I found a job
add for the latter at the above-mentioned server...
(see http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/postcomp.htm)

[ and on posting jobs ads to these mailing lists: ]

IMHO, posting information on Ada-related jobs in Ada advocacy groups is
"more" appropriate if the fact that this particular company/project is
looking for Ada expertise can be used as an advocacy argument.

In other words, it's the "meta"-information that is important, and hence
it would be useful to include more about the specific project in such
postings.  (At work, we are constantly getting remarks that "no-one is
using Ada for new projects", so information like this would be very
useful.)

In any case, you should forward these calls for Ada expertise to Brad
for the SIGAda job-page and to the AdaIC job-page (although I don't have
to tell YOU that, of course).  It would be interesting if these
job-pages would also contain (an overview of) "old" job announcements so
one gets an idea of the amount of Ada work and where it's being done...

---end-of-mail- extract---

I would appreciate very much a confirmation of the fact that NYC TA does
or intends to do Ada development.  (And information on any "large" "new"
Ada project is also welcome.)

Perhaps someone in the U.S. could call the tel.number Hal mentioned in
his message?

Dirk ([log in to unmask] for Ada-Belgium e-mail)

--
Dirk Craeynest | OFFIS nv/sa             | Email: Dirk.Craeynest@
   Ada-Belgium | c/o Eurocontrol - CFMU  |        eurocontrol.be