From:
Gary Kephart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 17:02:02 -0700
Hal Hart wrote:

> We need activists in the SIGAda booth, people who will engage those
> who look our way, feel out their attitudes, and then make Ada overtures
> tailored to that person.  Gary is clearly one of these Ada activists.
> THANKS, GARY!

Aw, shucks. :)
You should see Currie work the crowd.

> >Oh, yeah, I had to sigh when Alan Kay, the keynote speaker, had a slide
> >with Ada spelled as "ADA".
>
> I accept small victories for Ada.  I think the very fact that Alan Kay
> mentioned or showed a slide listing Ada in any way is a plus.  I would
> even go so far as to say that often "Negative publicity is better than
> no publicity," but I'm guessing his usage of Ada wasn't negative,
> probably neutral.  I guess getting mentioned on a "List of Things that
> Have Passed from the Face of the Earth" would not be good; that wasn't
> it, was it?

It was in a neutral way. Post-Simula languages.

> Thanks for the quick report, Gary.              -- hh

You're welcome. No problem.

> PS: Actually the "Why Ada" brochure (and a slightly more technical
> companion that I haven't seen in a couple years) were developed under
> the original ARA in 1994.  I do believe the AdaIC had hordes of them,
> and maybe the repro originals for making more after Bob Mathis passed
> from the ARA.  If not, then SIGAda should find them, check out
> permissions, and become the future supplier.

What are they doing just sitting around?!
I pinned mine up on my corkboard here at work where we use C++ and Perl.
Hopefully it'll get people talking. Maybe SIGAda could send a copy out
once a year attached to Ada Letters.

Gary

Gary Kephart, Software Engineer  |  Investment Technology Group, Inc
Phone: (213)270-7544             |  400 Corporate Pointe, Suite 855
Fax:   (310)216-0933             |  Culver City, CA 90230
mailto:[log in to unmask]        |  http://www.itginc.com
Team Ada member                  |  "The Future of Trading"

Disclaimer: these are my opinions, not ITG's.