Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:46:21 -0500
From:
"Marc A. Criley" <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
(Perhaps this is old news, but my copy of the October 97 issue of
Military & Aerospace Electronics _just_ showed up.)

The front-page "Trends" column of the 10/97 issue of Military
& Aerospace Electronics is titled "Analog Devices to Continue
Ada support for SHARC DSP".

Summarizing: Analog Devices considered dropping their search for
a third party to supply Ada software support for their SHARC DSP
after the Ada mandate was dropped.  However, according to SHARC
product marketing manager, "There is strong customer demand for
Ada even after the defense mandate was dropped.  Forty to fifty
percent of our SHARC defense base is still asking for Ada support.
Some of our customers say they have 400,000 to 500,000 lines of
Ada code written, and they don't want to convert to C."  And there
are technological reasons to continue Ada support for the SHARC,
"Some of our customers prefer to develop in Ada because it is more
structured and maintainable than C and C++.  Ada 95 also does an
excellent job of supporting multi-processor environments, which is
key to our military designs."

Marc A. Criley
Chief Software Architect
Lockheed Martin M&DS