From:
LJKpublish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LJKpublish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 15:46:00 EDT
[log in to unmask] (Jean-Pierre Rosen) quoted and then wrote:

>The authors report that they compared the compilation speeds of similar
>Ada and Pascal program under Vax/VMS (old technology nowadays). The
>compilers are based on the same technology, so it minimizes effects due to
>compilers rather than the language.

"Technology" is a rather broad term, but VAX Ada and VAX Pascal did _not_
share code-generation.  VAX Pascal had its own method based on some
academic
work from CMU.  VAX Ada (developed later) used the VAX Code Generator
(VCG)
developed for VAX C and VAX PL/I and also used by VAX Scan.

I use the past tense because VAX Scan is no longer supported (it is on the
Freeware distribution, VAX C has been replaced by DEC C on VAX (a
different
compiler) while the other two have at least been renamed DEC
<language-name>.