From:
John McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:24:43 -0500
Deepak Kumar posted the following to the ACM SIGCSE list.  I thought it
would be of interest to those who read the Team-Ada list as well.

John

>On behalf of Flare Films (www.flarefilms.org) I would like to announce the
>completion of a fresh new documentary on Ada Lovelace. It is called
>
>"To Dream Tomorrow: A Portrait of Ada Lovelace"
>
>Produced and directed by John Fuegi and Jo Francis
>Color, 53 mins (2003).
>
>We did a screening of this documentary two weeks ago as a part of our
>"Computing History Month" (see www.cs.brynmawr.edu) [which we just kind of
>declared, celebrated, and had a blast!]
>
>John and Jo came to do the screening, and led a Q&A session afterwards which
>was absolutely wonderful, not to mention eye opening. The documentary is
>well researched, beautifully filmed, and begins to debunk several myths
>floating around about Ada Lovelace among even the most notable historians.
>
>I think this is an important artifact in the history of computing,
>especially pertaining to the role and engagement of women in Math & Computer
>Science. Personally, I think every computer science program should own a
>copy and do a regular screening. The rights to public screening are very
>very cheap. Please contact Flare Films at www.flarefilms.org
>
>The movie has only been screened at a handful of places so far, it will be
>formally premiered in Washington DC this summer. Some comments about the
>film are attched below.
>
> "An engaging, beautiful, well researched film that tells the story of the
>remarkable woman who fought against the customs of her day to participate in
>the dawn of the computer age."
>        Leonard J. Shustek,  Chair, Computer History Museum, Silicon Valley
>
>        "'To Dream Tomorrow' is a moving and intelligent documentary on the
>fascinating life of Ada Byron Lovelace, who had the vision to see the
>principles of computing 100 years before the appearance of the modern
>computer."
>        Irvin Kershner, Director of "The Empire Strikes Back"
>
>        "In their beautiful documentary about Ada Lovelace, 'To Dream
>Tomorrow," John Fuegi and Jo Francis have brought to light the life of an
>extraordinary woman and her contributions to the early history of computing."
>        Karen Mathews, Executive Vice President, Computer History Museum
>
>        "The film was wonderful and I enjoyed every minute!  The questions
>were very good and your answers were like the film: clean and superb."
>        Professor Thomas Bergin, Editor, Annals of the History of Computing
>
>        "Just as Ada's father the poet Lord Byron had a genius for writing
>so Ada had a genius for practical mathematics, her application of which has
>been as great a contribution to the world of computers as that of her father
>to the world of literature." Geoffrey Bond, Chair, London Byron Society
>
>        "First class and very well done."  Joel Shurkin, Pultizer Prize
>Winner and author of Engines of the Mind
>

>--
>Deepak Kumar, Associate Professor of Computer Science
>Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
>[log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
> [...]

John W. McCormick                [log in to unmask]
Computer Science Department
University of Northern Iowa        voice (319) 273-6056
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0507       fax (319) 273-7123
http://www.cs.uni.edu/~mccormic/