Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:25:54 -0500
From:
Tucker Taft <[log in to unmask]>
"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." wrote:

> From: Bob Leif
> To: Doug Smith et al.
> Your CGI.Environment.Adb contains the reference to the same getenv C
> function as does David Wheeler's CGI.Adb.

I think you are confusing the "C" convention with the need for
a C compiler.  Many operating systems provide a system call
library which uses C calling conventions.  This does not imply
that you need a C compiler to make use of them.  Although "getenv"
is not strictly a system call (it is generally fetching data from the
user process stack), it is treated pretty much as such for these
purposes.  You should not be so allergic to C as to not be willing
to make direct system calls, at least in some interface package.

-Tuck