From:
Richard Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 00:02:09 -0400
One of the things I did while preparing the Nov 97 Ada CDROM
was update the PAL FAQ.  A part of this FAQ talks about where
the material in the PAL comes from.  In essence, while you
are propably aware that the main PAL site is mirrored (copied
exactly and partially) by other sites on the Internet, the
PAL also mirrors other sites on the Internet into it.  In
this light, the PAL is viewed as 13 collections in one, with
feeds coming in from:

  the Ada and Reuse Information Clearinghouses
  the Software Engineering Institute
  the United States Air Force Academy
  Aonix (an Ada compiler vendor)
  George Washington University
  New York University
  the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory
  the University of Alabama
  Auburn University
  the University of Cincinnati

Two other collections in the PAL are a part of the old
Ada Software Repository on SIMTEL20 (the "best" of the
ASR) and the PAL-managed collection, which consists of
assets channeled directly through me personnally.  In the
PAL-managed collection, other organizations, such as

  the Army Reuse Center
  Asset Source for Software Engineering Technology
  Comprehensive Approach to Reusable Defense Software
  Electronic Library Services and Applications
  Ada and Software Engineering Education Team
  Air Force Software Technology Support Center
  and more

have provided material to the PAL.  Individuals also
make contributions to the PAL through me.

So, that's part of the reason why so much material
flows into the PAL all the time (from one CDROM to
the next, there are usually at least 20,000 files
that have been changed or added).  Also, with the
automated nature of the system and the excellent
support I get from the Office of the Network
Coordinator at Washington University in Saint Louis
(who runs the mirror software for me and the rest of
the other 166+ archives at wuarchive), that's how
the PAL can run as efficiently and cost-effectively
as it does.

FYI,
Rick
--