From:
Magnus Kempe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 08:02:43 +0200
PLEASE let's NOT clutter Team-Ada with job ads.  No matter how
good some may feel about knowing there _are_ Ada jobs in the
world.  We already know that.

This list is for focused discussions of how best to promote Ada, and
should not turn into a grab bag of comp.lang.ada-like messages.

I think informing us that you regularly get requests from people
looking for Ada engineers is fine.  Now it's done, and some may
already feel better about Ada's future.  But we need something
more than feeling good.

Some real issues for Ada's future are: how many compilers are
available; are good Ada 95 tools appearing; how many bindings do we
have; how easy is it to interface Ada with other languages; is Ada
widely taught; is Ada respected as a serious language; will Java
displace existing Ada development; what are the alternatives to Ada?

(My short answers are: all major platforms are already covered; yes;
more and more--unlike what happened with Ada 83; very easy--unlike most
other languages; yes, as Mike reports to us; yes, as regular mention in
press articles demonstrates; very unlikely; Java and C++, and the
latter is a mess).

What can we do to improve the odds that Ada will grow in value and
popularity, now that we have a new standard, an Ada-to-JVM compiler,
validated compilers, GNAT, lots of great books, etc.?

Magnus

ps: why is Ada the only major language that Microsoft has not attempted
to transform into a Windows-only dialect?  is this a good or a bad sign?

Magnus Kempe -- [log in to unmask] -- http://www.ksce.com/
President, Kempe Software Capital Enterprises
La Gentilhommiere, route d'Essertines, CH-1416 Pailly, Switzerland
Tel/Fax +41 21 887 8442