From:
Neil O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:14:01 -0400
Enough already.

The reality is that we all have to work with different environments, it
seems to me that for Ada to get out of the niche perception that too many of
the non-Ada folk have, we cannot restrict ourselves to using just one or two
OS/s because their development was "purer" in some way.

Just live with it, if you don't like Apple, Microsoft or IBM, so what? Is it
really relevant, we live in a commercial world and have to develop for as
many platforms as possible, and does it really matter whether one is
designed by a huge corporation with little or no innovation of it's own? The
simple fact is that NT and 95 comprise a huge market and we in the Ada
community cannot ignore the potential.

And no I am not a Microsoft apologist, but probably >60% of our work is on
95 and NT we have to work with what we are given, if you have a preference
for Mac's fine but is this the place to discuss that?

Incidentally, I think folks forget that it isn't just Microsoft, as I recall
HP have always tweaked HP-UX to be just different enough to be annoying, and
as for having QIC-50 cartridges that wind the opposite way to everyone
else - sheesh!

Please can we close this discussion for now?

Regards,

Neil O'Brien
Senior Support Engineer
Aonix Customer Support