Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 08:03:05 -0800
From:
"Chris Sparks (Mr. Ada)" <[log in to unmask]>
Michael Feldman wrote:

> Etc. I apologize profusely if I left anyone out - these three came
> to mind, and I'm sure there are others. I was expressing frustration
> that the Ada community is so full of great developers, but not too
> many (not enough, anyway) willing to contribute time to the community.

For me this is really a two-part reason.  The first being money.  I
would sure like to make money off of what I develop.  Just enough to
help pay for my computer and a little of my time.  The second being
indecision.  I just can't figure out what to work on that hasn't been
done before.  Currently I am working on an Object Oriented Form
management
software.  It uses X windows under Linux (HP works too) and allows me to
use object-oriented technology to create push buttons, toggle buttons,
check lists, yadah yadah yadah from reusable components.  Is this
marketable, probably not.  Would I post it for world use, maybe.  I
plan]
to use this software to help build a graphics editor that I want to use
on my system.  Is this marketable, probably not.  World again, probably
not.

I tried to see if I could do the ATIP (?) program where the gov paid me
to develop software which I allowed to be publically available.  I got
a thumbs down since I am only one person.  Pretty discouraging if you
ask me.

> I contribute what I can; it;s easier for me because I'm an academic,
> I guess, with a flexible schedule, and (as my wife will attest) it
> is very unclear just where my day job ends and my fun time begins.
> I'm NOT a great developer (though I'm getting better), so I devote
> a lot of time to "evangelism."

You have a point here.

> In any event, I hope the discussion here might stimulate some messages
> beginning
>
> "Hey - guess what I just did!"
>
> Marc, I hope you and your wife will consider yourself candidates...:-)

Oh a wise guy huh?  Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck! (Three Stooges humor) :-)

Chris Sparks