From:
"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 00:20:26 -0700
From: Bob Leif
To: David Botton et al.

The question is NOT XML vs. Ada for programming. It is for the GUI and data
exchange, which "standard" or 'standards" is best as an interface to Ada?
XML DTDs are flexible enough to accommodate our needs. I submit that XML is
by far the least bad choice of: Microsoft Windows, IDE from CORBA, and JAVA.
XML is a vendor neutral standard from the World Wide Web Consortium. The
Document Type Definitions are sufficiently flexible for our needs.

Please see NASA on Astronomical Instrument Markup Language, an IML Dialect
Prepared for: NASA Goddard Space Flight Center by  Century Computing, a
division of AppNet, Inc.
http://pioneer.gsfc.nasa.gov/public/iml/IMLandAIML.doc
This document includs the following:

<RecordFormat name="Status" size="64" ordered="true" >
                <Format name="tag"     format="%s" size="16" ordered="true" />
                <Format name="Time"    format="%d" size="4" ordered="true" />
                <ArrayFormat name="Temperatures" size="40" ordered="true" >
                        <Format name="dataElement" format="%f" size="4" ordered="true" />
                </ArrayFormat>
                <Format name="Heat Switch" format="%d" size="4" ordered="true" />
            </RecordFormat>

The question is how closely can one make XML follow Ada semantics? Since XML
permits the creation of DTDs, for many applications we should only need to
worry about our own DTD's. The ability to use off-the-shelf browsers and
web-page editors to run and produce screens would significantly facilitate
the development of commercial applications in Ada.

Parenthetically, I believe that it would benefit both the Ada community and
the World Wide Web consortium to include one or more Ada language experts in
the group that is working on XML.