From:
Randy Brukardt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Brukardt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:52:50 -0600
> Do you actually need something more than gnathtml? It takes the
> package spec as is, and wraps it in html, with colorization and links
> for everything, and an index.
> If the Ada comments in the package specs are good, I don't see why you
> would need anything more.

You may want to add links from the documentation text to other entities
(subprograms, etc.) and possibly to other text (glossaries, tutorials,
overviews, installation info, etc.). You need some sort of structured
comments for that.

The tool we created for Claw also makes inheritance indexes (that is, lists
of all of the operations specified for a particular type). When a tagged
type is derived from another type, which was derived from another type,
which was derived from a fourth type, the operations available on the first
type aren't obvious...

We decided not to clutter the Claw source code with that text, and thus
designed a separate simple text file to hold it. We also created some tools
to support updating the separate text files when the source changed. The
result is a bit too complex to use without an easy-to-use GUI, so we haven't
done anything to make the tool useful in general.

Anyway, if there is enough interest, we'd look into packaging it for simple
distribution (possibly as part of Claw, possibly separately).

                        Randy Brukardt