Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 12:11:42 +0000
From:
"Dr. Panos Asproulis" <[log in to unmask]>
 Dear all,

 I recently joined Team Ada and I would like your expert help
 in a decision problem that my company is now facing.

 Computational Dynamics is one of the leading companies
 in the field of Computational Fluid Dynamics. The
 STAR-CD code we develop is a powerful multi-purpose
 thermofluids analysis code which can assist engineers
 through the complete design process. Using its advanced
 physical models, it can also help gain insight into
 complex flows and chemical reaction processes.

 We decided to produce a new version of this code written
 in a modern programming language (currently in Fortran 77)
 and we mainly consider C++ and Fortran 90 as the new
 language to use. Since we wish to achieve an object oriented
 design C++ sounds like the natural choice although Fortran
 is very popular in numerical software.

 However, I personally find C++ a very difficult and unsafe
 language to use for such a large project and I think that
 Ada 95 would be an excellent choice for this task. Still,
 it is difficult for me to persuade people mainly because
 there seems to be no experience in CFD with Ada and most
 companies are moving to C++.

 I would like to ask for your support in this matter.

 Is there any popular CFD code written in Ada ? What is
 the performance of the language in numerical applications ?
 Any examples of numerical software written in Ada ?

 Any comments and information will be welcomed.

 Thanks in advance,
|                                                     |
|    CCCCCc           C O M P U T A T I O N A L       |
|   C    cCc                                          |
|  C                  D Y N A M I C S   L T D         |
|  C  DDDDDDD                                         |
|  C    D    D        DR. PANOS ASPROULIS             |
|  C   D     D cc     DipEng, MSc, DIC, PhD           |
|   C D    cccc       Aeronautical Engineering        |
|    CDCCCC D                                         |
|    D     D          Development Engineer            |
|  DDDDDDDD           STAR-CD Development Group       |
|  Olympic House      Telephone: +44-(0)181-969 9639  |
|  317 Latimer Road   Facsmile:  +44-(0)181-968 8606  |
|  London W10 6RA     E-Mail:    [log in to unmask]       |