Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 20:33:06 +0100
8bit
From:
Jacob Sparre Andersen <[log in to unmask]>
Michael:

> According to recent stories in the Washington press,
> the problems with the automatic system are coming not from the
> software but from a low-tech part of it, namely the thousands of
> old relays.

Sounds like the problems with the metro in Copenhagen (their
system is still plugged into a 64 kb magnetic core memory -
even though they claim they don't use it any more :)

> the system used in Paris in the new Line 14. There is a piece on Line 14
> (a.k.a. Meteor) in the project briefs library linked from
>
> http://www.acm.org/sigada/education
>
> The story there is a bit old; the line has been in operation now
> for exactly a year, running without drivers in the trains, and
> (as far as I know from the French rail stuff I read) without
> problems.

From my experience (I don't ride line 14 that often), it
works quite fine.

The metro in Copenhagen is being extended with a driver-free
line going to the airport. The main contractor on this
project is Ansaldo (Italian company). Can anybody get
information about their software?

Jacob

    --  E-mail:         [log in to unmask]           --
    --  Web...: <URL:http://hugin.ldraw.org/Jacob/>  --