Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:31:21 +0000
>Perhaps the variation adds something to the music.  Perhaps it detracts.
>IDK.

I would say that it is the dynamics rather than the timing that adds to the
music. If you get a simple drum loop sequencer and play it through your sound
card it basically sounds well, not very good, because it's so perfect. Some of
them (even the basic ones) let you adjust the timing a little, but having
experimented with one, I didn't really note that much of a difference.

>That would be a great variation on the Turing test, can we tell which
>instruments in a jam session are being played by machine, and which by
>humans?

Probably not - especially if you make it a jazz jam because even if you get real
'musicians', they just play whatever they want and hope that it sounds good ;-)

John