From:
"(No Name Available)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 13:59:38 -0400
[log in to unmask] (Paul D. Stachour) wrote:
>Unfortunately for our profession, many of the people who call themselves
>software engineers know only one language, for one OS, one one hardware.
>
>To carry Matt's anology, I'd hardly call a person a civil engineer if
>all (s)he knew how to do was build two-lane bridges for 1 car-at-atime
>traffic on lightly traveled rural roads!

And I would not call someone a civil engineer if she could not build any
road without using at least 8 lanes.  Deciding how much effort to expend
is important for cost control, and it would not be good for the world to
see
Ada as a language which could only be used for expensive projects.

If one has no need for tasking or inheritance, Ada still gives great
results
(defects avoided) with its strong typing.