Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 23:01:12 -0400
Subject: Re: Ada PR?
From: "Richard L. Conn" <[log in to unmask]>
Many companies, such as Boeing and Lockheed, have rather strict
policies in place about what can be said in public forums by
their employees about the work they do.  As such, they set up
Public Relations/Information organizations to control the flow of
information.  For example, when I went to SIGCSE to help out as
a volunteer in the Ada booth this year, I cleared my plans thru
the PR people, and they were helpful, giving me material to take
with me on the F-22 and the C-130J and the availability of jobs
(Ada-oriented jobs, by the way) for these programs.

So, release of the kind of information that we want to see
does go out.  But there tends to be a business
reason for everything that is done ... the languages used to
produce products are not necessarily things the customer keys
on when buying the products.  Sometimes release of this information
is beneficial to the sale of the product, sometimes not, depending
on customer perceptions (perceptions are often more important
than reality).

Just my own point of view.

Rick Conn
C-130J Software Process Engineer
Chair, Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Systems Software Reuse Working Group
Instructor, Software Engineering Process Department: Ada95, C++, and Web
  Publishing Courses
Richard Conn, ASE and PAL Manager
http://xenadu.home.mindspring.com/