From:
"David C. Hoos, Sr." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David C. Hoos, Sr.
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 08:45:54 -0600
Hi Gregory,

I believe I can summarize this way:

The short answer is that Ada95 and C++ are compatible.  The longer answer is
that the effort required depends on the choice of compilers for both Ada and
C++.

One of the major issues is the C++ name mangling (to resolve overloading),
which is done differently by different compilers.

For example, if you're using gnat, then if the C++ code is done with the gnu
g++ compiler, then the job is easier than it is if the C++ is done with,
say, the Microsoft C++ compiler.  The gnat implementation has some special
pragmas for simplifying the job.

On the other hand, the Aonix compiler is easier to interface with Microsoft
C++.

My question, though,  is this -- if you are only developing for the Win32
platform, have you considered the all-Ada95 thick binding to the Win32 API
from RR Software, called Class Library for Ada Windows (CLAW).  The URL for
CLAW information is http://www.rrsoftware.com/claw.htm

If your GUI needs are just for the usual kinds of windowing objects, then
CLAW is a great solution.

David C. Hoos, Sr.