From:
LJK Software <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 06:50:40 EST
[log in to unmask] quoted and then wrote:

>I deliberately mentioned Adobe SVG, which is ubiquitous. The present W3
>standard is XHTML. A well designed site has links to download the software
>it runs upon and can operate in a degraded mode for users with legacy
>technology. My goal is NOT to reach all possible users, rather to reach
>virtually all of the users who could have an effect on the usage of Ada.

Is the suggestion that Ada Advocacy should be restricted to those whose
security policy allows them to download software over the Internet ?
That would be worse than depending on JavaScript !

>I very strongly believe that the Ada community has a unique opportunity to
>leverage the similarities of XML and Ada semantics into mainstreaming Ada.
>In the case of the defense community, the best way to maintain and extend
>the use of Ada is to demonstrate that Ada is the best choice for the
>development of COTS. Parenthetically, the use of XML could be much more
>effective in breaking the Microsoft monopoly than the US Justice Department.

Somebody who wants information on Ada should be able to get just that,
not a lecture on web design.

The question should be, what concept in Ada advocacy is incapable of being
promoted with ordinary HTML/GIF.  Remember that some people use browsers
that
don't handle PNG either.