From:
jim hopper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jim hopper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 12:01:43 -0500
>The problem with VB (and the reason I make money defeating the
>internal staffs of financial companies who depend upon VB) is
>that VB very quickly runs out of steam. If you want to do
>something and there is no pre-existing component, then you
>have two choices: try implementing the feature in VB using
>that language's extremely limited programming constructs (which
>pale even when compared to C, let alone Ada); or write a new
>component to implement the feature, which means shifting to a
>new language such as C/C++ to write the component. In other
>words, VB does not linearly scale across the functional domain
>but is highly non-linear.

Yes this has been my experience with object libraries as well.  For
MANY years i chased this particular dream. on the mac i tried a bunch
of similar packages, and in my work as well.  always they ran aground
with the fact that invariably when i started doing real apps, and
real people started using them they would prove almost but not quite
there!  Ihave changed my thinking to require component libraries to
come with source before i will usually use them.  on a project i
worked on as a sub to motorola they spent a small fortune purchasing
source for libraries for this very reason after te fact from
unbudgetted funds.

Jim

At a recent computer software engineering course in the US, the participants
were given an awkward question to answer.  "If you had just boarded an
airliner and discovered that your team of programmers had been responsible
for the flight control software, how many of you would disembark
immediately?"
                     unknown author