From:
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 13:24:31 -0400
[said Richard]

> Regarding Ada books,  I just tried to order 28 copies of John
> Barnes book, Programming in Ada 95, Second Edition from Addison-Wesley
> and my bookstore  (Stanfor Bookstores) tells me is out of stock
> everywhere.  Even Addison-Wesley did not have any copies left.

[I'm an AW author, so let me put in 0.02 here]

I just spoke to my editor at AW - she looked it up on her database
and found nearly 800 copies in stock. She suggesting calling the AW
order line at 800-447-2226.

Clearly somethng went awry between Stanford Bookstore, AW, and you.

> I am having to select another book for my classes.  Anyone
> else run into this situation?

Well, over the years one does occasionally run into "out of stock"
situations. In theory this shouldn't happen - publishers try to keep
enough inventory to satisfy orders, but if a big order comes in, or
the inventory people screw up, things go wrong.

Do not confuse "out of stock" with "out of print". "Out of stock"
meams "we're printing more copies but don't have any right now".
"Out of print" means "dead - we're not selling it any more."
Even "out of print" is not necessarily bad news - it may simply
mean a new edition is in the pipeline.

When you call AW, let us know how you make out.

If anyone out there ever has trouble getting an AW book (well, let's
limit it to AW _Ada_ books:-)), it's OK to e-mail me and I'll try to
check out the situation. Obviously, as an AW author, I know some people
to call on the inside.

> Richard
>
> Richard Riehle

Mike Feldman