From:
David Weller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Weller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 17:54:03 -0500
For each of us, the New Year represents a time of reflection and
rededication.  Many of us will make New Year's resolutions, swearing
to avoid a vice, help others, and otherwise do something generally
redeeming to ourselves and those around us.

For almost three years now, I've tried to pursue a "spare time love"
that was important to both myself and the Ada community: The Ada95
Booch Components.  It is time to admit I am doing a severe injustice
to the Ada community at large by attempting to complete these
components.  In a nutshell, I need a volunteer to take over.

I have realized that it is next to impossible to expect my workload to
change appreciably in this coming year.  I'm a senior member of a
small and growing company, and my "spare time" is absorbed with
performing many software development tasks (some in Ada) to help the
company grow.  To let the components gather dust is, IMHO, criminal.
And thus I am guilty.  It is with a sad heart that I must hand the
responsibility over to somebody that can affort more time to it.

I discussed this briefly with Jack Beidler, who has expressed a
willingness to take the task over, but I think he and I both would be
more comfortable with a person (or persons) who would be able to make
the time and commitment to getting these things done by the
springtime.  This posting is deliberately limited to Team-Ada.  If you
think a non-Team-Ada person is interested in tackling this task, by
all means forward it.  Please note that you should be fluent in both
C++ and Ada95 to have any reasonable timetable for success :-)

While I am unable to give the time necessary to develop the
components, I'm more than willing to provide "historical guidance" to
whoever picks up the baton.  Further, I have a large set of notes that
I can also provide to help out.

I hope each of you can appreciate the sheer willpower it takes for me
to even write this note.  To admit that I cannot find the time to
complete this task is heartbreaking.  However, I cannot bear
disappointing the Ada community further.  I hope the work I've already
done has been beneficial to others.  I know it has been rewarding
_and_ enlightening for myself.

I must ask each of you, the supporters of this fine programming
language, to forgive me.

Respecfully,
David G. Weller
December 24, 1997