From:
"Kester, Rush W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:19:51 -0400

Yes.  I was hoping there were Ada specs that described the data types and
subprograms used for interfacing to the Java run-time environment.

> Or are you asking if you can use a chunk of Java code or a Java GUI from
> within an Ada program?  This is a much more complex (and interesting)
> question and I don't think I can answer it fully.

What I'm after is writing Ada programs that take advantage of the Java
"Virtual Machine."

> But first of all the target machine would have to have the Java run-time
> system installed.  This should be available for Windows, Solaris, possibly
> Linux (might not have shipped yet) - maybe a few other OSes.  Since the
> run-time system is responsible for interpretting the Java bytecode I think
> that the answer to your question would depend on the particular RTS.

Yes, Of course it would need to have the Java run-time.

> Some Java run-time systems apparently perform just-in-time compilation of
> Java bytecode into native system code.  I'm pretty sure this can be
> achieved in Win9x.
>
> But the question I have for you is WHY would you want to go to the trouble
> when either language by itself should be sufficient to meet your needs???
>
> Andrew Logue

Because I know and prefer Ada (and I don't know Java).  I'm interested in
leveraging this knowledge to take advantage of the portability of the Java
Virtual Machine.

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

Rush Kester