From:
"W. Wesley Groleau x4923" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:38:25 -0500
I am putting together some notes for the author of a Java book who writes
as if he has never heard of Ada, or even of CORBA or DCE.  I'm just hoping
to get Ada mentioned where he discusses alternatives to Java for
distributed computing (he currently mentions Javascript, VBscript, TCL/Tk,
and ActiveX).  I would appreciate if someone who knows will answer one or
more of the following questions:

1. Since Ada does not force you to handle an exception, what will happens
   if I download an applet created by ObjectAda, if it raises an exception
   that is not handled?

   AppletMagic?

   the GNAT-to-Jcode that's coming soon?

2. Any other vendor have an Ada-to-Jcode compiler out or expected within a
   year?  (if so, question  1  applies)

3. I've heard rumors of a Smalltalk-to-Jcode compiler.  Anyone know more
   than a rumor of this or any other language?

I don't even care in this case if they make Java look a lot better.  I
just hope to let some folks know that Java is not the only game in town.
He was honest enough to recommend ActiveX or one of those script languages
as better than Java for certain circumstances, so maybe he'll treat Ada
and Eiffel with an open mind.

Thanks,
   Wes Groleau