Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 15:37:16 -0600
From:
Ian Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Mike,

You recently wrote back:

>Ian, are you suggesting that RR would donate compilers to a new effort?
Actually, we donated compilers for the original effort, back in '95.  It supposed to be for a total of 90 copies distributed to three schools.

We were contacted via Ralph Crafts after the other Ada compiler vendors once again proved their complete inflexibility.  We talked it over, recognized it was a big positive for the Ada community, and gave them permission to distribute the Janus/Ada MS-DOS Compiler.  In fact, when they came back to us and said that they might have a problem duplicating the manuals in time we gave them original manuals at cost.

Since then I have heard nothing.  In fact, the invoice for the work, including the Fedex drop shipments they asked us to do, has gone unpaid.  I have written to and left messages for Gary Shupe of the AJPO, and still not heard back.  When the program was mentioned in the ADA IC News back in mid-'95, they didn't even mention RR Software by name.

>(Perhaps the current wave of surplus machines are respectable enough
>to run in high school labs.)
If someone wants to get serious about putting Ada into the hands of programmers before they have been completely brainwashed by professors that think Ada is the seal of approval for tooth paste then have them talk to me.

-Ian Goldberg