Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:54:45 -0800
From:
AdaWorks <[log in to unmask]>
OK.  Now for some real heresy.

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Howard W. Ludwig wrote:

[ Snipped lots of stuff here

> Many of the people with other majors have demonstrated an ability to
> reason and perform well in their field of study and get into programming,

[Snipped a lot more here]

Anyone remember the slide rule?  Remember the days when we would
walk across campus with the little scabbard hanging from a belt
and, if anyone from the Psychology Department got smart with us,
we could draw our LOG LOG Decitrig and cube-root them?

I anticipate the day when programming will be just another skill we
need to express the solution for some set of problems, regardless of
our study discipline.  Dr. Ludwig alludes to that in his well-stated
comment.

Before I learned to use my first slide rule in the ninth grade , it was
just as mysterious to me as programming is to many today.  My last
kid in high-school was studying subjects I did not consider until
my second year of college.  Do we underestimate what can be achieved
by our students, given the right motivating factors?

Richard Riehle
www.adaworks.com