Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Hans-Frieder Vogt <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 09:35:12 +0100
> Subject: Re: Ada-binding to Motif and X window
> >I just like to tell you that i made my second release of Ada-Bindings to
Motif
> >and X window publicly available for noncommercial use on the stuttgart
> >university ftp server:
>
> [SNIP]
>
> Dear Hans-Frieder,
>
>   Congratulations on this, it's sounds very interesting. I am specifically
> interested in using Ada95, GNAT and Motif on Linux. I have a question : which
> version of Motif do you recommend? There are quite a few available but they
all
> seem quite expensive (e.g. perhaps 10x the cost of Slackware!). I need to buy
> Motif before I can proceed but the cost is a little worrying, especially if
one
> were to make the wrong choice.

I use Metrolink Motif 2.0, which costs about $100-$150 as a development system,
i.e. including C header files and static libraries. I use this Motif for nearly
2 years now and I had absolutely no problem with it. As far as I know there is
another Motif implementation available from XInside, but I have no experience
with it. The current release of Motif is 2.0. If you buy CDE, you get Motif
release 1.2.5, because there seems to be a problem with CDE and Motif 2.0. If
the now standard ELF binary format is used there shouldn't be any problem to
run executables been compiled on systems using shared Motif libraries from one
distributor on systems using shared Motif libraries from another distributor.
Of course both need to have the same Motif major release.

Regards,

   Hans-Frieder

Hans-Frieder Vogt                 e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Institut f"ur Luftfahrtantriebe   tel   : +49 (711) 685-3522
der Universit"at Stuttgart
Pfaffenwaldring 6
D-70569 Stuttgart