Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 10:16:07 +0000
>It seems there could have been at least one Ada compiler vendor with Ada
>compilers for Windows in a shrink-wrap package.

That would be nice! I made enquiries of ACT as to whether they marketed a
product that was the equivalent of VB Learning Edition. Basically I was told
they don't do that, and that their minimum support contract covers up to 10
people. I don't know how much that costs, but I'm pretty sure it would be much
more than the UKP70.00 or so that VB Learning edition costs.

I seem to remember Aonix did different versions of ObjectAda in the same sort of
way as M$ did their VB and C++ products, i.e Professional and Enterprise
editions, and I know they did a free Academic version, but did they do a
learning edition?

From my point of view, I would be likely to buy an Ada compiler for say $100.00r
so that provided a CD with Windows installer and the equivalent functionality to
VB Learning.

Linux is available shrinkwrapped in various forms, why not Ada?

John