From:
David Weller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Weller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 09:57:31 -0500
> It might be helpful for somebody to summarize the net
> addresses of the existing Free code licenses and what
> kind of Free reuse they permit and what kind of conversion
> from Free to non-Free they permit.

This is covered pretty well in the Ada Community License.  Visit
        http://www.riva.com/booch/acl.html
to read the full text.

To my knowledge, nobody else has used it for licensing, opting instead
for the (slightly) more restrictive GNU Public License.

Let me make a comment here.  I work in the C/Perl/Java communities as
well as the Ada community.  It is without fail that the Ada community
worries the most about free vs. non-free stuff, and that there are a
good many "commercial"(actually "aerospace") companies that reject
"free" software for very unrealistic fears.  Perhaps it's just a
culture thing.  Commercial companies are very focused on getting the
job done and hitting time-to-market issues (and, yes, sacrificing
quality in the process).  I have yet to see corporate hand-wringing
about licensing terms from any commercial companies I'm working
for/with.  That doesn't mean they're violating things, it's just that
they don't have bored lawyers saying "How can we _prevent_ engineers
from using this software?"

The ACL answers all your questions, Mike.