From:
Tom Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:18:59 PDT
> It seems to me that if we program a generic serializer using
> stream_IO and the distributed annex, a reliable socket interface, a
> package of event handlers for keyboard/mouse/tablet/scsi/music/etc.,
> a package similar to awt, and an advertisement/lookup/execution
> service location package, Ada could have advantages similar to Java.
>
> What is missing is just a handful of packages. The people who have
> been posting software on the Ada lists have put in an amount of work
> in the last year equal to the task of writing this package. All that
  CLAW, Class Library for Ada on Windows, contains the high level
socket interface, event handlers for Windows keyboard/mouse etc,
windows, sound, and graphics, among other things.  It runs with
GNAT, among others, so the distributed annex is available.  It
comes will full source code.  It costs less than MS Office.
  If, in addition to all the other requirements, you want the
software, and its support, to be gratis, there are various pieces
(not necessarily compatible) available from several folks.  As
with the blind men and the elephant, different people have created
tails, trunks, bodies, ears, etc.  The main remaining problem is
getting *all* the requirements satisfied in one working whole.