From:
Nick Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 05:13:37 +0000
Geoff Bull wrote:
> Tucker Taft wrote:
> > Just-In-Time compiler technologies, which tend to be buggy and
> > not that much of a speed improvement,
>
> Java has a lot of flaws, but a buggy JIT compiler
> (Sun JDK 1.2, Solaris) is not one of them.
> JIT is what makes Java useable at all.

Well I can personally vouch for the bugginess of the Symantec Java JIT
product (for Windows). It crashed about once every ten minutes (often
taking down the whole machine, of course).

It's not 'Java bashing day' it's 'tell the truth' day, which is that
Java really, truly, and honestly, is a toy language (and I don't see how
it can ever really mature to the point where it isn't).

This may sound cynical, but the world is full of people who are good at
convincing themselves something is what it isn't, and vice versa, as
well as those who are happy to take advantage of them.

Would you fly on an airliner programmed in Java? I wouldn't.

--
Nick Roberts
Computer Consultant (UK)