From:
"Robert I. Eachus" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert I. Eachus
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:04:40 -0400
At 09:01 PM 7/16/97 +0100, Christoph & Ursula Grein wrote:

>The rest of your explanation, Robert, was rather specific to your solution of
>the problem (which however you did not show - you *did* show the rather
simple
>case for limited types) and is still not very clear to me - and I suppose
>neither to the rest of us.

    The problem is that the "final" form of the solution was to use the
limited version and define a Copy procedure.  That is the elegant,
maintainable solution for now.  We did have code that "worked" with
Controlled, but was very Rube Goldberg, implementation dependent, and
didn't deal with issues like multiple tasks at all.  I've spent a lot of
thinking time on how to create a useable solution to the problem for the
next version of Ada.  I keep thinking it should be possible, but all the
solutions I've found either require using the heap, implicitly or
explicitly, or are very implementation dependent.

                                        Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;