From:
Peter Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:37:33 +0200
On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 08:51:19AM -0400, Roger Racine wrote:
> get back to a reasonable value.  Let's not get into a discussion of
> complexity, and whether a given indentation value should ever get this
> high.  While it does not happen all that often, per KSLOC, it happens at
> least a few times in many complex programs.

it happens as soon as tough management of complexity is neglected.

> Priorities have to be given to each of the formatting rules, so they can be
> broken in the appropriate order.  Some would say that the line length is
> not that important.  Others would want that to be the last rule to
> break.  Some would say to do what I did up to the point where everything is
> on a separate line, but aligned using the standard indentation value, and
> then allow the line length to be violated.
>
> I am pretty sure that a single standard, without acknowledging priorities,
> and with no rules for exceptional cases, leads to problems.

My default settings of options would be
line_length => 79
                 software and hardwaretools of all ages without problems
max_indentation_depth => 6    (beyond no more indentation!)
                 educational effect

--
--Peter Hermann(49)0711-685-3611 fax3758 [log in to unmask]
--Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen