From:
Jean-Pierre Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Team Ada: Ada Programming Language Advocacy (83 & 95)
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 11:01:33 +0100
Rick Duley a écrit :
> Sorry I was not very specific.  The accusation I hear is based on the
> fact that the JAVA SDK comes with a huge collection of pre-defined
> classes; some for GUI work, most for a vast range of functions.  Our
> freshmen select from this collection and combine their selections in
> other classes.  This is called Object-oriented Programming :(

In "pure" OOP languages, everything is a class, leading to such
contradictory things as "functional classes". The notions of modules and
libraries seem to have disappeared from today's teaching.

In Ada, you have other kinds of modules than classes. We reserve the
term "class" for certain kinds of packages, but many services are
provided as packages that are not "classes". Hence the confusion.

Yes, Ada has a rich "library". Some modules are classes, others are not.

Why do people insist on everything being a class? Well, when your only
tool is a hammer, every problem will look like a nail :-)

            J-P. Rosen ([log in to unmask])