Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 13:15:36 -0700
I liked the Y2k Management joke!

I also agree that the end is NOT near. But you sure can't tell that from
the number of people here (Utah) who are stocking up 2-3 years worth of
food.

The fact remains that some devices shouldn't care about the date, but
DO. I used the example earlier of a perfectly safe device going down
because it's status logging system failed and stopped everything. This
shouldn't happen, but it does. It can be designed out.

It's not a problem if the VCR, microwave, or the satellite dish doesn't
work, no cable for a month and no popcorn. But if the power plants fail,
ATC goes down, the gas pumps don't, or our water pumps stop, well, then
it'll get interesting.

Now that we're thoroughly off topic..... ;-)

I think this all goes back to the definition of a critical system. My
VCR, TV, and computer don't qualify. But power plants, fuel production
and delivery, ATC, medical, emergency communications, and services vital
to our infrastructure should be considered critical systems.

It seems to me that with all this worry about Y2k, there should be an
emphasis on deciding exactly what is and isn't critical. Perhaps
"critical" for society is different than for the indiviual, but is it
any less important?

John T Apa                              [log in to unmask]
L-3 CSW                                 (801) 594-3382
PO Box 16850                            Fax: (801) 594-2195
640 North 2200 West                     Salt Lake City, UT. 84116-0850