From:
"Juan M. Rayas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Juan M. Rayas
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 12:11:07 -0700
--- On Fri, 25 Jul 1997 13:47:02 -0400  Michael Stark
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Juan --
>
>To answer the original question, I don't have experience with these
>compilers, but we have thought about using Ada for the PowerPC to
>recompile an existing GPS application -- ironically enough, the GPS
>group at JPL we were working with insisted on C++ and their own
>homebrewed RTOS.

Michael,

 This does not surprise me. JPL has traditionally been a "C house"
 for many years and it has become sort of a culture here. Back in
 the early eighties there was an "Ada Lab" at JPL but was quickly
 cancelled. Since then, the attitude towards Ada at JPL has been
 negative, and all the myths about Ada still run strong.

 This is precisiely the reason why I want to get as much information
 regarding good development environments for our target. I expect
 to get much criticism from JPL when they see that Ada is being
 used for the flight software. To be fair though, there have been
 some projects at JPL that have been written in Ada83 and have been
 successful, but they are relatively few.

 Regards,

|      Juan M. Rayas       | Jet Propulsion Laboratory |
|     Team-Ada Member      |    4800 Oak Grove Drive   |
| Flight Software Engineer |     Pasadena CA, 91109    |
|           E-mail: [log in to unmask]          |
Date: 7/25/97   Time: 12:11:07 PM