From:
Dirk Craeynest <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dirk Craeynest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 14:54:29 +0100
As Ada-Belgium Board member, I cannot help but comment on the recent
post by W. Wesley Groleau to the Team-Ada mailing list which contains
a.o.:

= I haven't yet looked at the Ada-Belgium pages that Wasserman allegedly
= showed contempt for.

This is the second time the "Ada-Belgium pages" are mentioned in this
context, and each time without any additional detail.

After Mike Feldman wrote that Wasserman mentioned at the NRC hearing
that "they discovered the Ada-Belgium home-page", I asked for more
details, but didn't receive a reply yet.

What exactly is wrong with our pages?  Please at least tell US!

= But I have seen (again VERY few) Ada pages that were (to be tactful)
= inaccurate.

Please point out what is "inaccurate" on our pages and we'll do what we
can to change or delete it.  But don't forget WE do not receive 1 M$
per year for our Web-server: it's all a volunteer effort in my "free"
time (and highly appreciated by a lot of people who DO tell US).

= Some exaggeration is expected in advertising, but too much is
= counter-productive.

Again: please tell me where we "exaggerate" "too much".

= It may be that some of our "success stories" even can hurt Ada.

The success stories on our server were based upon the success stories
collected by Mike Feldman, at that time only available in text format on
the AdaIC server.  After Mike converted them to HTML, we have put them
on our server for wider dissemination in Belgium and Europe (this was
even before they were on what is now the Ada Home Web Server).

BTW, an Ada success story doesn't become less of a success story because
the company switches to another language later (IMHO).  If Ada
contributed to the success of a project, we should continue to tell
that, even if the company decides later to switch (sometimes for very
irrational reasons).

Finally, let me ask everyone who notices inaccuracies, errors or
exaggeration on Ada-related Web-pages, to inform the maintainers of
these Web-pages.  Let's cooperate, instead of just spreading rumours.

After all, aren't we all on this "Ada Advocacy mailing list" trying to
increase awareness of Ada's qualities?  Ask yourself: "what's the last
thing *I* did to promote Ada?"

Dirk Craeynest
Ada-Belgium