From:
vsmm-sec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 03:46:34 +0900
-------------------2nd CALL------------------------
Int'l Society on VSMM presents the

4th Annual International Conference on
Virtual Systems and MultiMedia

"FutureFusion -- Application Realities for the Virtual Age."
18-20 November 1998, Gifu, Japan

http://www.vsmm.vsl.gifu-u.ac.jp/vsmm98

CONFERENCE OVERVIEW

In the spirit of exploring the fusion between engineering, creativity, and
commerce in virtual reality and multimedia technologies, VSMM98 will fuse
these main sessions together through an exciting lineup of invited talks
from world-renowned experts, lectures, workshops and social activities.

Currently, we are accepting papers that exemplify the use of virtual reality
and multimedia within the four main areas:

- TECHNICAL
- CREATIVE
- INDUSTRY AND COMMERCE
- VIRTUAL WORLD HERITAGE (with the kind support of UNESCO's WHC)

*********Abstract deadline is June 31, 1998 *********

CONFERENCE UPDATES AND HIGHLIGHTS

Virtual World Heritage Book to be Published
In addition to the official VSMM98 Conference Proceedings, the Society will
also be publishing (through IOS press) a special 400 page, color book of the
successful papers relating to Virtual World Heritage.

Special Call for Papers for the Technical Workshops on MPEG-7 and Speech
Recognition in VR Applications
We have two outstanding workshop sessions focus on "Ontologies for MPEG 7"
and "Speech and Natural Language Processing in Virtual Reality."  If this is
your interest area, then this is the place for you.

WIN a Scholarship!
VSMM Society has 10 Scholarships Available...

Invited Speakers to be Announced Soon, But We Need Your Say!
We've searched throughout the world to find the hottest and brightest in the
industry but we want to hear from you who you'd like to see!

Special Session on Virtual World Heritage
With the kind support of UNESCO's World Heritage Centre. To enhance the
quality of the Virtual World Heritage Session, we have asked for the
involvement of UNESCO...

UK and USA Fairs to be held during VSMM98
A special exhibition in the conference will host manufacturers, developers,
resellers and related industries from the UK and the US.

Prof. Takeo Kanade Named as Conference General Committee Chair
In recognition of Prof Kanade's outstanding work at Carnegie Mellon
University, we've asked him to be the General Committee Chair…

Carl Loeffler Named as Program Committee Chair
Carl's left CMU and now out on his own with "Simation," producing enough
activity to make the world spin a little faster. Now that he's on board with
the conference, you can expect an exciting program lineup...

Ancient, Cultural and Natural Heritage Papers Now Accepted
We have expanded our call for papers in the heritage area to now include all
ancient, cultural and natural heritage themes in virtual reality and
multimedia. This section will be independent and not related to the Virtual
Heritage session.

Onsens, Banquets and the first Virtual World Kareoke Championships
We're planning some great social activities for you - come have a
traditional Japanese banquet, see traditional and contemporary Japanese
performance arts, sit in a hot springs bath in the beautiful Japanese
countryside.  Need we say more?

Submission Form Now Online
As the deadline of 30 June approaches, you'll find all the information to
successfully submit a paper to the conference in our Paper section.

Registration Information Now Available.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
http://www.vsmm.vsl.gifu-u.ac.jp/vsmm98
VSMM Secretariat:  [log in to unmask]