Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:31:32 -0400
From:
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
[said Rush]

> There are plenty of Ada books out there to support the present
> Ada community.  You just have to order them.  What the Ada community
> is losing out on is the opportunity to promote the language to new
> programmers who go to the bookstore to "learn how to develop xyz
> type application using Ada."  Where you see Ada books on the
> shelf it's generally where there is a university teaching Ada or
> using it in one or more of their classes.

Well, yes and no. I don't think the Fairfax MicroCenter collection
of Ada books has much to do with GW (which is many miles away) or
George Mason (which does teach some Ada but not a lot). Same goes
for Reiters, which carries a far bigger selection of Ada books
than anyone at GW needs.

I think it would be a useful contribution for people on this list
to visit their local bookstores (the ones with big technical sections,
anyway), and report back on the Ada "presence" there.

I agree with Rush that there is, generally, enough variety in Ada
books that a larger _quantity_ of distinct books isn't a pressing
issue. For example, see

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada95books.html

which is linked from the other Ada websites and covers just about
all the Ada 95 books. I need to add a couple of new ones; I'll do
that one day soon. David Botton also has an excellent book section
at www.adapower.com.

Team-ers: you can contribute to the book situation by writing brief
reviews for these books! Some of the books on my list have no
recent review attached to them. Some reviews are from earlier
editions. Please visit the page and send me a brief review,
in the form of the others, so I can paste it in to the page.
Plain unformatted text please, NO attachments!

The other thing about books is that all the online bookstores
do seem to be carrying all (or most) of the Ada 95 books, in
what seems to be current stock. Reviews posted on those sites
would also be helpful! I say this not (only) as an author, but as
SIGAda Education Chair - there are small things many of us can
do to make the situation a little better.

> Rush Kester
> charter member Team Ada

Michael Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, ACM SIGAda Education Working Group
Professor, Department of Computer Science
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
[log in to unmask] - 202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-4875 (fax)
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/faculty/mfeldman
"A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth can
 put its shoes on." -- Mark Twain
Visit http://www.acm.org/sigada/education or http://www.adapower.com