From:
Jeff Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:29:10 -0500
>Perhaps we could use another phrase like "High Integrity" or "Dependable" to
>broaden the message to include critical niches other than safety.  Or would
>this dilute the message by moving away from the more concrete notion of
>safety?

I think the specific words "safety critical" may become more
appealing in '99 and '00, especially if there is any sort of anti-technology
backlash re: Y2K.  This doesn't mean this is the only market to approach, it's
a matter of producing a perception of Ada's strength.

I may be too immersed in this to be objective, but "High Integrity" or
"Dependable" seem like they could be used to describe applications in other
languages very easily, so they wouldn't provide the same cache.

Best thing to do though is to test any strategy before a major investment
is made.

At the very least, if resources permit and someone has time, the suggested
themes and slogans should be tested on some folks outside of our group:  first
other Ada people and then target groups beyond Ada. Something that sounds
clever to us might not mean as much to the people we're trying to persuade and
we won't know it if we don't ask.

My main point is that we should be thinking about what position in the market
place Ada can and should own that will best promote growth of its use.  I am
concerned that the current perceived position outside of the Ada community
centers on weakness.  I've heard it summed up as a "dead language" or in the
narrow limiting niche of "that DOD language."

Jeff

Jeff Burns, Director of Marketing
GrammaTech, Inc.
One Hopkins Place